Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ode to the Mad Dog

Being a Dolphins fan, I didn't get a chance to see Jim Mandich play. That was a long while before my time. But he did play on a team that never lost a game a little bit under 30 years ago.

About four years ago, I signed my girlfriend up to Sirius Satelite Radio, and found out that all the NFL games are on. So when I found out I can hear all the Dolphins games on Sirius, I got excited and felt for the first time in my life, I could really follow my team rather that read the papers and wait for the 3-4 games that came on TV here in Chicago. That is when I met the trio of Jimmy Cefalo, Joe Rose, and Jim "the mad god" Mandich.

I loved listening to three of them. Especially Mandich, he was nuts. I just remember everytime something good happened, he sounded like all of us. An excited fan happy to see what his team has done. His ever familiar "awwwrigght Miami" always was in my mind, especially when I watched them on TV.

As a member of the community, Mandich was everywhere. He touched the hearts of everyone he met. Although I was not one of those fortunate to meet him, I will never forget how he made Sundays for me fun and kept me as a lifetime subscriber to Sirius, and how his personality on the air would make me smile. He may have lost his battle to cancer, but he won the hearts of everyone he met.

Thanks Mad Dog. May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment