Thursday, June 9, 2011

Remembering the Shine of Stanley

A year ago, where were you?

I was in my bedroom watching game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and in OT Patrick Kane shot a puck towards the goal. It’s didn’t look like it went in, but Kane threw his helmet off and started celebrating. The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. Amazing!!!!

I remember when I first cheered for the Blackhawks, I was in 8th grade. Players like Dirk Graham, Jeremy Roenick, Chris Chelios, Ed Belfour, and Denis Sarvard were on the team and they made the playoffs, only to be eliminated by the dreaded Minnesota North Stars. However, the Hawks would make the finals the next year, to be swept by a greater Lemieux than we had and lose. From that point on, the Hawks would make the playoffs a few more years, and then the team was broken up. Everyone went their separate ways and eventually Tony Amonte was our favorite. However, due to the policies and cheap ways of “dollar” Bill Wirtz, many of us fans became disinterested. Some Hawk fans stayed true to the team; however I am sad to say I wasn’t one of them. Life’s distractions took me out of the box.

Then Wirtz passed away, and it was announced Rocky was going to take over the team. I said to myself, sure I can get on board with this. When they talked about home games on TV, Pat Foley returning, and WGN broadcasting more games, I then said, OH I DEFINITELY CAN GET ON BOARD WITH THIS.

When Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane were drafted, this was the beginning of a new era in Blackhawks hockey. The days of as cheap as possible were gone. We were entering a new day where all that we needed to accomplish was “one goal.” In 2008, when things changed, I was on board from that point on as I found my fandom for the Hawks returned. The game of hockey changed a lot and I had lots of studying and catching up to do. I went to my former morning partner Tim Vandertuuk over at WKRS (when I was producing Libby’s show) and asked him as many questions as I could. Yes, it was time to get my game face back on.

I remember how sad and defeated I was when the dreaded Red Wings took down the Hawks in the conference finals. I knew that we were headed in the right direction and was confident we could do it. The next year, after sitting through a tough series with Nashville, entertaining hockey as usual with the Canuckleheads, and a surprising sweep of the Sharks, we finally were there once again. Almost 20 years later, headed to the Stanley Cup Finals.

It was so amazing to see the Hawks win it. When Marian Hossa came to the Hawks, I adopted him as one of my favorites because I knew how good he was with the scumbags and the Pens. But he never won it. Seeing him get the cup first and hoist it over his head will always be one of my favorite sports memories. Hossa finally got his cup. Third time was the charm.

I remember watching the parade on TV. Kaner was so blitzed.

I remember being on Second City Hockey and how everyone was going crazy.

I remember the cup came to my hometown of Elk Grove Village since John McDonough himself lived that way.

I remember Duncan Keith getting his teeth knocked out but remained a force to be reckoned with.

I remember Chris Pronger stealing the puck, but losing the trophy.

But most of all I remember hearing the roar of the old Chicago Stadium returning once again.

I really wanted the Hawks to destroy the Canucks this year in the playoffs. Coming back and making a game 7 out of it was nice. However, beating them in said game 7 would have been much better.

Seeing the Sox win it all was awesome, but the Hawks was different. I saw two of my favorite teams win championships in my lifetime.

I hope to see you guys win again. Thank you Chicago Blackhawks. Happy anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment